During the afternoon hours of Thursday March 18th, the Bedford Fire Department was dispatched to the Chase Bank, located at the end of the Hunting Ridge Mall (420-442 Old Post Road), for a carbon monoxide alarm.
Arriving members deployed multiple meters and determined moderate levels of carbon monoxide in the bank, which led to the evacuation of the building. Electric fans were deployed at Chase Bank, while other Bedford FD units checked the rest of the commercial occupancies.
In the space immediately adjacent, interior demolition work was ongoing and found to be the source of the carbon monoxide - due to gas powered saws. The work was halted as the readings inside the space indicated a high concentration of CO. Ventilation was also set up in this large area.
All of the other commercial occupancies on the first and second floor of the building were checked, some with minor CO readings in other areas due to the construction of the building and common spaces between floors. Bedford Hills Rescue 10 was special called to the scene to assist with additional fans and personnel.
Units remained on scene for an hour while the spaces were cleared and rechecked before going back into service.